Whenever a person is feeling stressed, anxious, or depressed, one of the quickest ways I’ve found to drain away the “bad stuff” is grounding like a tree.
- Make sure you are in a safe, quiet place the first time you do this. The first time may take 10-15 minutes, but the more often you do it, the quicker and easier it will be to do, even in less than a minute.
- Close your eyes and imagine you are a tree. We want a tree with deep roots, so oaks, hickories, walnuts, sycamores, and maples might be best, but you can imagine yourself as any tree you want, because it is the roots you imagine that will be most important.
- Imagine that root begins at your heart, tail bone, and the soles of your feet. The root is one very strong root, and it goes down, down into the Earth. It is strong, and goes down quickly into the Earth, pushing aside soil and rock, down, down, all the way to the Earth’s inner core. The Earth’s core is a ball of molten lava. Your root is so strong and magical, it can survive contact with the Earth’s inner core.
- Now think of what is upsetting you right now, whether it makes you stressed or anxious or depressed or whatever. Send it down that root, and let it travel with the speed of light all the way to the Earth’s inner core, where it will burn to nothingness in the heat and harm no one.
- Think of everything that is upsetting you, and one by one send it all down that deep, magical root. All of it is destroyed at the Earth’s core, without hurting you or anyone else. Keep sending all the bad stuff down that deep root, until you feel you have gotten rid of everything.
- Now pause for a few moments, and savor the feeling of having all that bad stuff gone. Feel the Earth holding you safely, protecting you from all that has harmed you. You are at one with the Earth.
- Slowly become aware of your surroundings again. Hear the sounds, feel the air upon your skin. When you are ready, open your eyes, and take a deep, slow breath — in and out. All is well.
You can do this exercise anytime you want, although it would be best to choose somewhere you feel safe. Once I did it in the middle of a traffic jam, but I was sitting still in traffic at the time. The more often you do it, the easier it will be to do, and the more often you will feel that calm connection with the Earth.